One of the most important qualities of a good leader is the ability to communicate effectively. As you become a more effective communicator, you will notice that your working and your personal relationships improve, as does your efficiency at work and at home.
The following 20 phrases are a collection of favorites from some of the world’s most influential leaders. They are used specifically to diffuse tense conversations, facilitate clear understanding, and add trust and respect to relationships.
- I’ve been thinking about some things and would like to hear your thoughts.
- Thank you for sharing that with me. So you feel like… Is that correct?
- Thank you for sharing that with me, do you mind if I think about it for a little bit.
- I appreciate all you do—you’re doing a great job.
- Thank you for pointing this out. I will work on it right away.
- I understand the vision we are trying to accomplish is… Do you feel this is the best alternative to fulfill our vision?
- Let’s see if I understood this correctly, what you’re saying is…
- Okay, what is your biggest concern?
- Let’s get some ice cream and talk about this some more.
- How are you feeling about…?
- I really appreciate it when you…”
- I’m sorry. I take responsibility for that and I will work on fixing it right away.
- Yes, I’ll do that.
- These are some thoughtful ideas, have you had any other thoughts that can help us fulfill our vision?
- You seem defensive right now. Are you feeling attacked?
- Let’s brainstorm this together.
- It helps me trust you when you…
- I can tell you have given a lot of thought to this. Let me be sure I understand what you’re thinking about.
- I want to know all about this and I’m very interested in how you came to the conclusion you did.
- I love this kind of thinking. Do you mind if I chew on this a little longer?
The purpose of these 20 phrases is to facilitate understanding and better communication, while preventing overreactions, negative feelings, and costly miscommunications.The greatest mistake we humans make in our relationship is ‘we listen half, understand a quarter, think zero, and react double.’ Being an effective communicator is a total game changer that will consistently bring out your best and the best in your organization.
Go ahead and start using your favorite phrases today. Listen to Steve’s podcast on communication by clicking below.